Pumpkin...maybe..

 Today I processed a couple of pumpkins that grew from a volunteer vine in my garden.  

Last fall I bought a pumpkin and a couple spaghetti squash.  I tossed the innards, as it were, out into the garden area.  The seed sprouted.  Except from the way the "pumpkin" looked inside after they were cooked, I think they were crossed with a spaghetti squash.  Wherever they'd been raised there had been a crop of both and they crossed. 

But whichever the case, it cooked up pretty good.  I made some keto pumpkin quick bread with it.  I got about 8 cups altogether.  What I didn't use I froze.  

 I just whack in half and bake.  I saw one recipe where they just tossed the WHOLE pumpkin in the oven and baked it.  Gary wondered if they had to pierce it somehow, or take off the top, to prevent it from exploding. 


Once it's baked, I take out of the rind, put in a bowl and use my immersion blender on it.  You have to do this in little spurts, lifting and pushing down.  It's too thick to stir with the blender.


Then I freeze in one cup portions, using newspaper between the layers to prevent them from freezing together.  


I think in total I now have over 8 cups of pumpkin in the freezer, all unplanned.  Next year I am going to try my hand at raising pie pumpkins.  I know next year will be totally different as far as growing conditions, but I want to give it a try anyway.  I will also grow spaghetti squash.  Everyone here likes that, it is a great low carb substitute for spaghetti pasta.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story