Gone Loopy

 Here several years before COVID, which is how we seem to be timing things now, at our ladies group at church a lady taught us how to loom knit hats.  For some reason this activity charmed me.  I was astounded that I could actually create something usable from simple yarn.  I did some research and discovered there are jillions of patterns and projects on YouTube so I had a family member get me a set of looms, for Christmas I believe, and I took off looming. I wish I had kept a picture of my first couple of hats. For a long time my hats were fairly plain, with maybe different patterns in the looming.

I also did dish cloths and scrubbies...etc, and would set up at different vendor events around.  I discovered that quite a few other people did hats and scarves (I have yet to even attempt to make a scarf, I don't know why.) to sell, so I wasn't doing very well at that, though I'd sell other things.  

After a year or two I discovered faux fur yarn and got the brilliant idea to use that for brims of hats and cuffs of fingerless mittens.  THEN I started selling hats more often.  They are more unique.


 I had made a few Santa hats with fur brims last year, and sold them.  I made this set with the hat and fingerless gloves for the vendor event I'm setting up at next weekend.  I hope it sells



 Here are a few other projects:


Pumpkins are fairly easy to make, and are good to use up scraps.  I use cinnamon sticks for the stem, and those cut-out wooden leaves I paint with metallic gold, copper or silver paint.  I also put a stiffened yarn curlicue, instead of a green leaf.  There generally aren't any green leaves attached to ripe pumpkins.  For that matter there aren't leaves actually attached to pumpkin stems at all, but they look cute anyway. 

 

Dishcloths and scrubbies are super easy.  These are in Christmas colors, which I have discovered are not actually popular, even at Christmas.  But I have quite a collection of differently colored cloths and scrubbies, so I am sure I will sell a few.  I also have made scrubbies from jute, which is all natural and biodegradable. Funnily enough, I don't like to use the 100% cotton cloths with my dishes.  Some people use them in the shower/bath.  To me they are just too heavy.  But some people love them.  Those are the ones I make them for.  I don't use the scrubbies either, probably for that reason as well.  I do have a scrubby yarn I think I will like for my own scrubbies.  I'll have to make one or two for me.  For the most part everything I make I try to actually sell, or give as gifts. 


 For Christmas I made some Snowball Fight in a Bag projects.  I don't claim this as my own idea, I am pretty sure I saw it in a group on Facebook a few years ago.  I'd give them the credit if I could remember who it was. This is just a small bag with 6 "snowballs" in it.  I didn't expect it to get rave reviews when I posted it in my Facebook knitting project album.  But several people have already inquired about it.


 I also made a snowman one, which I think would be better than Santa's bag.  


We will see how many will sell.  I have 3 made so far.  Quite often you make cute stuff, but no one wants to pay what it's worth, and I usually sell it too cheap anyway.

This year I got into making my favorite project.  I had always wanted to make dollies, but never had the nerve to try.  Finally I did make a couple this past Spring and I was astounded that they actually sold really well.  The ballerina dolls require quite a bit of sewing, but they are so cute and fun to make.  


The hair on the boy is the hardest.  But he's as cute as the girls.


And that is all for today.  I'm sorry I missed yesterday, I got off schedule and never regained momentum. 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story