Christmas Cactus Start


 Quite a few years back a lady from church brought a few plant starts her daughters had won at a 4-H event.  There were several different types, one of them being a Christmas Cactus.  I was enchanted, because while I had heard of them and my mom actually had had a gorgeous one in California, I had never had one.  So I brought it home and pampered it.  

It got quite large and unruly.  The kitten knocked it over several times and broke large branches from it.  And finally this past summer I got exceedingly tired of it and several other plants I had.  I chucked some out the back door, gave some away and gave the original plant back to the mother of the girls who won it in the first place.  Haha

But before I gave it away I took the above starts off of it.  I can't remember when that was; mid-summer maybe, I don't know.  In any case I stuck the above leaves into potting medium and kept them warm and moist.  It has taken them this long to develop roots and finally, finally pop out a little new "leaf."  I think there are little spots on both of them that will also grow eventually.  

I like watching them grow, and I finally figured out how to get it to bloom decently.  If these actually do grow up and get large, I am going to try and have a decent place to put them, so I can keep them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story