Experiments in Immunity

 A few of us ladies at church have formed a wild crafting group and meet periodically.  Since COVID-19 and the complete lack of any sort of remedy against it, I think the concept of wild crafting has skyrocketed. I must admit I am somewhat skeptical of wild craft, but I know there is much natural medicinal knowledge that has been lost over the years.

On the internet I frequently see articles hailing the benefits of different weeds from the backyard; usually plantain or mullein.  Our lead wild crafter has made salves from plantain and tinctures from mullein, and she sings their praises and I don't doubt her.  My problem is that I cannot, for myself, justify the expense of all the supplies and organic ingredients you have to purchase (olive oils, coconut oils, containers...etc) to make them yourself.  I can just go to the pharmacy, plunk down a couple bucks in exchange for a tube of cream that works as well.  If the economy goes south and we wind up in a recession going into survival mode, which it appears we are, I guess I will have to do what I have always done, endure the pain and itch of a wasp sting for a few days until it goes away.  I dunno.  

In summer when wasps are out and we get stung and we think of it, we get a plantain leaf, smush it around and rub it right on the sting.  No coconut oil base needed.  

Country folks can survive.

But I digress.

We ladies have the greatest time when we meet and it is fascinating to learn the different properties that wild plants can have.  I don't doubt their efficacy given the proper processing and dosage.  We are also always in search of immunity remedies.  One of the more dedicated members came across the concept of fire cider, a concoction of fruits, spices and whatnot that you are supposed to take to help ward off germs and viruses.  

So last week we met and made our concoctions; it involves organic citrus, ginger, turmeric and all sorts of spices.  We even tossed in some elderberry.  Then we covered it all in apple cider vinegar.  We are to let it sit and stew in the vinegar for 4-6 weeks, swirling it every day.  It has to be strained, but I am not sure how it is to be ingested, that step is still over a month away.  Haha...  

Here is a jar of it:


It looks rather unprepossessing.  Gary is of the opinion it will make you toss your cookies when you drink it, but I don't think you are supposed to slam back a whole cup of it at a time.  At any rate, I keep my jar in my kitchen cupboard where I see it every time I open the door.  That reminds me to swirl it every day.  Experiments like these are fun; you never know how it will turn out.

I will keep you updated. 

Comments

Donna. W said…
Not my cup of tea, but good luck!
Calfkeeper said…
I will keep you informed of how it goes.

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story