November's Final Blog: the homestead


For some reason this always fascinates me so I will go ahead and post about it.


On the ridge back behind us hubby actually owns the original homestead that his great grandfather (I think) built here back in the late 1800s. This is a picture of it. The middle building is the house, the building on the right was used as a chicken shed and the building on the left was...I dunno, I forget. There is a barn, but it's off to the left of the pic a bit. The large tree on the left was a pecan tree, but it was demolished in the Jan 07 ice storm, a heartbreak to me. The pecans were really good, if you could get any from the varmints. The fallen tree is also a pecan and is actually still alive, it bears pecans every year.
The property has not always been in the family. Back in the early 1900s it was sold to two sisters who actually lived on it and farmed it up until 1968. A few years after that time one of the daughter's of one of the sisters sold it back to my husband because she knew it used to be in the family. Husband also has the deed history records for it. It is interesting to read how it changed hands over the years.
There is no electricity or running water on this place. The creek is actually quite a little hike from it, down the ridge a ways. Keep in mind that electricity did not reach this area until sometime in the 60s. Hubby remembers when it came in and how excited his mother was to get a washing machine. He also remembers carrying water from the spring for household use.
And that is the end of my NaBloPoMo posting. Next year I will try and post every day for sure. I joined too late to do so this year anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story