Y

My tribute to the letter "Y." I like finding poems that have well-used sayings in them and wondering if they are the source of the saying. I just have never understood why it is a dog that has his day; why not a goose or an aardvark? Dunno.

A footnote on Ellen's new phrase: Just yesterday after posting I noticed she was starting to draw out the "oo" sound of "who" and sounding like an owl: "Oooo is that?" she asks her dolls and books and banana at breakfast. "Oooo is that?" I laugh every time she does it. Yes, kids learning to talk are so much fun. I'll never forget my niece asking for "more crappers and cheese" when she was tiny. Too funny.


Young and Old
by Charles Kingsley


When all the world is young, lad,
And all the trees are green;
And every goose a swan, lad,
And every lass a queen;
Then hey for boot and horse, lad,
And round the world away;
Young blood must have its course, lad,
And every dog his day.


When all the world is old, lad,
And all the trees are brown;
And all the sport is stale, lad,
And all the wheels run down;
Creep home, and take your place there,
The spent and maimed among:
God grant you find one face there,
You loved when all was young.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story