The Day After Ellen's Birthday Post


 Yesterday, February 27, 2024, she turned 17.  Amazing.  But of course I didn't get any recent photos.  Here she is from about 6-7 years ago when her hair went down to her butt.  This was when I was the one still brushing it for her.  She was in middle school, I believe; maybe 5th grade.  Her hair caused more stress in the mornings than anything I can ever think of.  I am not sure of the exact time, but not long after this picture was taken I advised her that she was quite old enough to be brushing her hair for herself.  It was not long after THAT when she decided she wanted it cut.  


I think the above photo was from just last year maybe.  She has kept her hair about as above; short enough to handle easily, but long enough to do different styles with.  She has mastered French braids, and does other random pony tails or braids, along with curls and the like.  

She keeps herself busy.  At the moment she is working on a presentation for the FBLA state competitions in Springfield. It will be a summary of what all their chapter has been involved in over the course of this past school year.  

Just this week she started doing "manager" work for the track team.  This is sort of out of her usual realm of activities, but I am glad she is getting involved in some sort of sport, even as a manager.  I was never active in any sport, though in middle school I also worked with the track team both years, I believe.  I was never athletic so I never competed, but it was good to be involved.  I hope she has fun with it.

Yesterday in her government class they took the test on the US Constitution; which they have to pass to graduate.  Ellen missed one question.  Today they are taking the test on the Missouri Constitution.  She is nervous about that one.  But I am sure she will pass it.  

She is currently struggling with the trigonometry section in her math/calculus class, but she will prevail I am sure.  The last quiz they took...no one passed it.  I think this is more a failure of the teacher than the students.  The teacher is a very nice lady, but the first of this month she took like 10-12 days off to go to Morocco.  I am not sure of the reason for vacationing in the middle of the school year, but I think it set all of the class back a bit as the substitute wasn't up on what was required.  

She just finished and submitted her rough draft of a 5 page essay for one of her classes; I can't remember which class.  

She is planning on pursuing a career as a school counselor.  Once she is certified for that; whatever that process may entail, if she discovers that school counseling isn't for her, then she can branch out into any of several different career opportunities.  

The world is her oyster at age 17. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story