Prepping for future events


 Seems hard to believe but winter will soon be drawing to a close.  Spring is on its way! Spring means several different things aside from gardening.  One of those is it now means is the beginning of vendor events season.  The first one I go to is the Buffalo Art Walk in May.  At least I believe it's in May; the first Saturday.  

I am therefore trying to come up with new loom knit patterns to sell at said events.  The above Peeps Bunny pattern is from loomahat.com.  Denise, the lady who IS the loomahat lady, also has a YouTube channel where I get her patterns.  She has beautiful patterns; scarves and hats and shawls and all sorts of toys and dolls.  I have yet to try any really large project, even a scarf, because in my observations at these vendor events, large items like scarves, shawls, blankets...etc, rarely sell.  And even if they DO sell they usually don't go for what they are truly worth.  I have more luck selling little toys like the above for $3, or the teddies will sell at $10; than selling expensive large items.  Last year at the art walk the lady next to me had beautiful crocheted items; lacy looking shawls and a selection of smaller key chains and doodads.  She sold out of the smaller things.  She also had these intricate crocheted hamburgers, with each piece done individually; meat patty, lettuce, cheese slice, tomato, and bottom and top of the bun...including sesame seeds.  They were adorable and got a great deal of attention from almost everyone who walked by.  She was asking $18 for a life-sized crocheted hamburger, and I doubt that price even included the amount of time and work she put in detailing.  But she didn't sell one of them.  I strongly believe had she been set up in Springfield, or Kansas City somewhere, she would have sold out.  But few people in Buffalo are going to shell out what a handmade item is actually worth.

This is why I tend to focus on small, simple items.  They are fairly simple to make, work up quickly and actually sell for me.

With all that being said.  I posted this little guy on Facebook and everyone says that he does indeed look like a Peeps bunny.  However I think my next one I will make with just a smidge shorter ears.  

Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story