Beef Operation Activities


Gary has been setting up a better corral for us to manage this beef "herd" as it were.  We have 17 heifers/cows and about 12...maybe only 11...calves, so we don't have a large operation.  But in order to manage them we have to be able to separate them, vaccinate them...etc. 

So here a couple months ago Gary invested in a fancier corral than he ever used for the dairy.  It has all sorts of swinging gates, both big and little, latches...etc.  In this picture above, which was almost 2 weeks ago now, we had moved 2 of the cement feed bunks from the dry cow field up to the new corral, which is in the field just west of the house here.  

This involved a random misadventure on my part as I was driving the truck/trailer.  He had gone before me with the tractor leaving me with the rather vague instruction to follow to wait about 5 minutes and then go to what I understood to be  "where we have hay."  Which could potentially have been any number of places; down in the bottoms, over in Windyville or up around the corner.  None of which were places that had feed bunks.  So I followed his general direction and ended up where he wasn't.  This involved my having to make a couple of attempts at turning around with the truck/trailer, at which I was successful, then calling him to determine exactly where he was.  I got there in the end, and we got them where the bunks where they need to be.  He informed me he had told me to go "where he had CUT  hay," which to me is just as ambiguous, because he had cut hay in various places as well.  I need precise terms to operate on because I am not a pro at interpretation or reading another person's mind.

It is worth noting, dear reader, that even after 19 years of marriage big adventures can still be instigated by small misunderstandings.  In future I will be attempt to be careful to request more precise destinations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story