The Last Selfie


 A year ago I took this selfie of us,

Completely unconsciousness

That it would be our last selfie together. 

We laughed together, as we often did.  

This time you laughed to see yourself in this

Strange gadget on your table.

You exclaimed at how old you looked.

I laughed because you were laughing.

I thought I had more time ahead with you;

Many months, perhaps a year or more.

But that was not to be, for just 6 short weeks later

You joined the Lord you loved so much and

Had your first Christmas dinner with Him instead of me.

And I have learned that grief and joy can be so intertwined 

That is is difficult to know where one ends and 

Where the other begins.  

I grieve my loss and rejoice in your new freedom 

From age and pain.  

And I am so glad I got this last selfie of us, laughing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story