Story Pictures

 A walk in the woods always awakens my fanciful side.  If you hadn’t noticed, I enjoy photographing objects and scenes that pique my curiosity.  I enjoy pondering the stories that might be contained within the pictures.

An image can be very evocative to the well-read.  For instance, what sort of story comes to mind should you see a picture of a lamp post in a snowy wood?  How about a young redhead in a too-tight yellowish-gray wincey dress?  An old-fashioned honey pot on a counter?  A round, green wooden door?  

Hmmm…so many fun stories.  

This morning I took this picture with the intention of capturing the old winding grapevine.  But as I looked closer I saw thought, “I seem to have taken a shot of someone’s front porch.”  Can you see it?  


The pile of flood debris makes a great shelter for the main hole to someone’s underground house. 


The vine would be a sky bridge to the tree tops.  And along it the artfully draped shed bark from the dying half of the tree might be someone’s laundry.

I stood for some time in the cool, fall morning listening to the plunk of falling acorns and the rustling of squirrels.  It was not at all difficult to imagine the beginnings of a story.  I almost gave a friendly “halloo” in hopes of meeting the resident. I could just see them popping out and inviting me in for a cuppa. I stood in silence though, contemplating. 

Maybe next week I shall bake pumpkin muffins and bring one down there in hopes of a friendly chat. 

But perhaps they have moved on up the ridge to higher country for the fall and winter, to avoid being flooded out.

Maybe when I go back next week I can help move the furniture.  

Perhaps not…but it would make a fine, fine story. 

Don’t you think?



Comments

Donna. W said…
Good story indeed. I love what one's imagination can do.
Calfkeeper said…
An active imagination can certainly make a walk more interesting.

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story