Green Beans, the Arora Borealis and the Taste of Christmas


Or...what I did for most the the morning of Sept 11, 2012.

This past spring in my garden I planted my first half of a garden bed of green beans on May 29, 2012, the second half I planted about 2-3 weeks later.  I watered them all the rest of the spring.  No blooms.  Hubby watered them for 2 weeks while Ellen and I were in California.  No blooms.  We came back home and I kept them watered through an interminably hot, hot summer; daytime temps 90 degrees and over for at least 2 months...sometimes over 100 degrees for a week or two at a time.  No blooms.  I watered them when they looked so wilted and decrepit I thought I ought to stop watering them.  No blooms.

But I persevered.

Hubby said nothing, but had severe doubts, I believe.

But finally a few weeks ago, when the temps dipped below the 90s at last; LO! to my everlasting relief my green beans started to bloom!  THREE MONTHS after planting!  About 2 weeks ago I canned about 6 pints.  Today I canned 7 quarts, and have enough for another 2-3 quarts.  I think if we don't have an early frost we might get more!

Hubby was off on a well job today.  So I carted all of these green beans inside to clean and snap them.  To help pass the time this job is best done as a community affair; having someone to talk to helps pass the time.

I was alone.  So I plugged in a DVD of the second season of what used to be my favorite TV show (back in the day).  Can you guess what it is, from my title up there?

While I was watching and snapping I broke down and indulged in TWO cups of cinnamon-flavored Starbucks coffee.  Yes, I fell off the wagon and started drinking coffee again.  This happened because I found this bag of STARBUCKS coffee at the cheap store for just $3.  It was only 3 months out of date; still good.  Cinnamon makes me think of Christmas, and it was a good thing that I had green beans and Joel's adventures to distract me, else I might have become distraught at the thought of Christmas shopping.

But, after 2 and a half episodes I had the beans snapped and was buzzing from the coffee.  Three hours later, I am still buzzing and the theme song keeps replaying in my head!

These must be the reasons I feel the urge to wax philosophical like my friend "Chris in the Morning." HJe quoted Jung all the time, but I shall paraphrase a Bible quote: "But let patience have its perfect work..."  James 1:4 

Hey, or even Galatians 6:9  "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not..."

In other words; keep watering your green bean vines, no matter how hot the summer, they will bear fruit eventually.

Comments

jel said…
I'm glad ya got your green beans to grow, coffee is soo good. :)


I have been watching my christmas shows too. :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story