These Hills Are on Fire!

Yet again Bella and I forsook civilization and fled to the hills. 

Well, really, I went over to the homestead to check on the pecans.  But let's not get technical.  The dog and I fled the confines of our usual routine and immersed ourselves in the beauty of the season.

This is probably the most colorful fall I have seen in Missouri since I came here.  There is no way to completely capture it on camera.  But I took a few shots.

Going up the trail to the homestead on the back ridge I got distracted because it looked like Midas had passed through.  The whole hillside was yellow!  It was lovely.

But Bella and I finally made it to our goal.  Though this guy was passing through: 
I told him he'd best run.

But then I reached the old pecan tree.  It fell over way back 11 years ago during the big ice storm of 2007.  There were 2 of them; huge, old.  The other one didn't make it, but this one lived and has thrived; miraculously. 
You can see that it's partly on the old chicken house.  In the pic you can't tell, but there is a young pecan tree growing up from the roots.  It must be 15 or 20 ft tall or so.  I couldn't see any pecans on it, but maybe they'd all fallen off already. 

I snagged a few off the limbs I could reach; most of them were way up in the air. 
Then I walked around taking more pictures.  I will share those in a later entry.  It was so beautiful up there in fall.  Well, here's one last one.  The old house.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story