Dairy things

There aren't that many dairy things going on right now. Mostly it's just do the milking, put out hay, chop ice and try to stay warm. Actually, though, it has been above freezing during the day so there's no ice to chop. This is really nice. In 6 years I haven't developed the knack of chopping ice without getting ice chips and water all over me. Gary doesn't have this problem. He thinks I am weird. Maybe he has a technique that I have yet to learn. I dunno. I have never watched him chop ice.

Two days ago Gary took out the small stretch of fence back behind the house where the middle sized heifers are. Most of the wooden posts were over 20 years old and several were broken off. He drove in steel posts and I helped him put up cattle panels. They are so much better than barbed wire.

Now that Christmas is over I am back in the thick of teaching the teens at church on Wednesday nights. We have added at least one regular in the past 6 months, and there are 4-5 who show up occasionally. It's fun. They are a great group of kids. Now that it's the New Year I need to think up an event for them. They want to go bowling or ice skating. Or go to some place called Six Flags. We shall see.

A neighbor down the road has started up a business. He is calling it Timber Line Mobile Home Rentals. When hubby and I drove by and saw the sign we'd have fallen to the floor and rolled around laughing had we not been in the truck. This guy has been dragging in old decrepit single-wides and fixing them up to rent out for $200-250/month. One of them had been condemned down in Springfield. I kid you not. He's got 4 of them set up on his property up and down the road. He does fix them up pretty nice on the inside. And it sounds like pretty cheap rent. But keep in mind it'd be close to $400 a month, if not more, for heating. When it's 5 degrees out, you use a LOT of electricity to keep one of those things warm. And let's not even talk about cooling in the summer when it's 100 degrees out and you are in a metal cracker box. At least he does the mowing.

Anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story