Cooking on the Dairy-Chapter Two addendum

Zucchini Pie

This happened just about 2 weeks ago. I decided that I would use up some of the zucchini that I so painstakingly peeled, deseeded and sliced back in early summer. Mostly I use it for this zucchini pie recipe that we like; once it's all done it tastes almost exactly like apple pie. (I very much miss having apple trees.)

So happily humming to myself I make the crust, thaw the zucchini, measure the spices, stir, stir, stir it all up and assemble; confident in my ability to cook this simple dessert. At the appropriate time I take it out of the oven; sniff, sniff, ahhhh the aroma.

Time for dessert after supper; I slice it and put a generous serving on my husband's plate. A piece lands on my hand, I taste it.

EEEEEWWWWW!!!! BLEEEEECH!!!!

"Dear," I say. "I think I did something wrong."

"What?" he asks. "Did you forget the sugar?"

"Ummm, yes, I did."

Well, ever the optimist, especially when it comes to dessert, my husband takes a nice big bite. It almost immediately lands on the plate again. Ha.

"Ewww," he says, "it tastes almost like green persimmon."

Yep, it sure did. See, to give zucchini pie that tart apple tang you have to add a wee tad of lemon juice to the mix. *sigh*

The possums ate well that night.

Note to self: when making pie of any type, be sure to add the sugar.


Thanks for visiting!

Comments

Anonymous said…
That happens to the best of us!


forgot to tell ya , little one had a pretty dress on! yesterday at church!


have a great day!

jel

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story