A Poem To Cheer You...or maybe not

In looking for something to post; a poem perhaps, since I am running out of posting ideas, I ran across this one by Oliver Goldsmith (1728-1774). Now that I am the mother of a daughter, such views of women's lives make me shiver. Thankfully things are much different now than back then. However, it is still kind of sobering to think that this is how many teenaged girls STILL feel. I believe I heard of one recently commiting suicide, in FL wasn't it, because of being jilted.

I hope and pray that I can instill in my daughter the firm belief that she has great value as an individual and does not need a boyfriend to make her SOMEBODY or to give her life meaning. And if she does get jilted that it is NOT the end of the world, the Lord has better plans for her someday.

Woman
When lovely woman stoops to folly,
And finds too late that men betray,
What charm can soothe her melancholy?
What art can wash her tears away?
The only art her guilt to cover,
To hide her shame from ev'ry eye,
To give repentance to her lover,
And wring his bosom is-to die.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story