Hello NaBloPoMo-once again

It's hard to believe it's been a whole year already. (You know there is a NaNoWriMo too; National Novel Writing Month. You have the whole month of November to write a 50,000 word novel which you write with your own software and then somehow submit it privately. I would someday like to try that. I checked it out last year and it sounded like fun. My trouble would be deciding on WHAT to write about.)

Well, I don't have any idea of what to blog about. I think Solomon, the Grateful Guy, asked if I had planned out what to blog about. No, I prefer to blog by the seat of my pants. It's more challenging that way. Ha.

Sorry. I am not doing a very good job of writing this post; I keep getting distracted because I am reading the blogs on this month's NaBloPoMo Blogroll. I like to just choose one at random and read it. If it's worth commenting on, I comment, otherwise I just lurk and move on.

This blog is supposed to be about dairy doings, but it often strays. This post won't be too entertaining; if you want some more entertaining dairy stories, read the posts from the past I have listed on the right. Hopefully something interesting will happen this month so I can blog about it.

Today we got a new calf. The tiniest little Holstein heifer I have ever seen. Not to mention the dumb cow didn't have an udder at all. If I hadn't actually seen the calf with her I wouldn't have guessed she'd had one at all. We have a disappearing udder problem here; each generation of cows seems to have smaller udders than the previous one. The bigwigs blame it on the quality of the bull. Hubby had always bought registered bulls from one particular guy, 'til last year he bought a non-registered bull from some other dude. We are hoping that will make a difference. We also have a 3-banger problem; lots of our new first calf heifers only have 3 (or sometimes less) quarters that work. Hubby often jokes he's going to call the dairy "Three Tit Farm." I just laugh.

In any case, I would have taken a pic of this tiny heifer, but you can't really tell in a pic that it's so tiny. Plus she is kind of cruddy, as in orange calf poop all over her back somehow.

On that note I will leave you for today! hehehehehe

Comments

Anonymous said…
Three tit farm. I love it! :D
Donna. W said…
Maybe she's premature. I used to raise dairy calves, and I raised one that was six weeks premature. I know it for a fact because the dairyman didn't keep a bull; all his calves were out of artificial breeding. Thus, he knew the exact day the cow was bred.

I blog every day anyhow, so no use in my joining up with the every-day thing.
Unknown said…
Can you believe it's been a year since we "met"? Last NaBlo was when we met. Seems like I've been reading your blog for longer though!

Happy NaBloPoMo-ing! XO
Calfkeeper said…
solomon-yes, hubby is good at coming up with such labels.

donna-I asked hubby if calf could be a premie; he said she looks to "done," says premies don't look finished.

c-no, I can't believe it's been a year already. It has been fun getting to know you. I am glad I did the NaBlo thing.

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story