Gardening on the Dairy


This is a pic of a baby bird I caught roosting in the tomato vines last year. I was out watering them and saw him. I think he was trying to learn how to fly. I rushed in and got my camera.


It is hard to believe that it will soon be spring and time to start gardening on the dairy. Here is a list of things I grow on the dairy.


1. Green beans

2. beets

3. zucchini (the everlovin' zukes)

4. cucumbers

5. onions

6. lettuce

7. spinach

8. radishes

9. cantaloupes

10. watermelon

11. tomatoes

12. sweet potatoes

13. peppers (sweet green peppers-but I want to try some hot kind this year.)

14. peas

15. wren egg beans (kind of an heirloom type of shelly bean that the family has grown for years.)

16. I want to try putting in berry vines; raspberries I am hoping.

17. I also usually try to do some flowers in certain spots. The petunias tend to reseed themselves year by year, so they are the easiest.


Hmmm, I know there might be more, but I can't think of them now. With the melons it's tricky because you never know how they will turn out. Sometimes they are really good and sometimes they are bad and sometimes you never know because the opossums get them before you do. Last year I got quite a few really yummy cantaloupe and a yummy watermelon or two. It was great.


The peas are tricky too because we use...umm..homegrown fertilizer as it were, which after it sits a few years turns into great black dirt, but it's really nitrogen rich and peas just don't go for that much.


That's it for today.

Comments

Amrita said…
Wow Rebecca, good list, we grow those veggies in our winter season. Never had cantaloupe...are they like melons.

Now we have palnted
onions
garlic
okra
string beans
cukes - two varieties
tomatoes
herbs

The baby bird is a darling.

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story