Certified


 

After 3 months of dinkering around I finally have a certificate to be a substitute teacher in Missouri.  It is, of course, my own fault it took so long.  I really ought to have called in to the main admin office and asked about the whole application process from the get go; but doing things in a logical manner has never been my M.O.; hence my rather disorganized life.  But, I have persevered and conquered; at least to this point.

In December I talked over with Gary about my becoming a substitute teacher in our county here.  Gary was for it, so I did what the random FB posts say to do; went onto the school's website and clicked the link to apply for a job.  Then I waited maybe 3 weeks to be contacted.  

*crickets*

So I started asking around, asked a friend at the admin office, where I should have started in the first place.  She advised that they never did get my online application.  So I got a paper packet application from her and learned from her coworker who handles such that I needed to get my certificate to substitute teach and get my background check..and it all goes through this particular website called dese.org, or something along those lines.  

So I began there, filled out the application to get the certificate online and went through the whole process.  Fingerprint background...cleared...check.  

Then getting my college transcripts transferred over was a bit of a learning process again.  Nowhere on the screen or in any of the instructions did they specify how they wanted the transcripts.  They just gave an address.  So I mailed a copy of them in, and waited like 2 weeks for that.  Then I hunted down their number, stayed on hold for a good while and then found out the transcripts had to be mailed directly from the university.  So THAT took another week and a half or so.

But finally here it is.  Now to turn in the app, along with the certificate, and make a run at the real application process.  

Most people my age are looking at retirement; not a new career.  That is OK, I am not most people.  I am ready for a new challenge.

At our local Walmart there is a checker who is 74.  She seems to do pretty well, but I have done my time in a check stand back in my 20s.  I just can't see clear to doing that job again; so I am off to school.  I think my mom would be excited for me.  She was a teacher's aide for almost 30 years, and then a foster grandma for near 10 years.  She loved working with kids.  I think I will too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story