Spring Flings and things


 The daffodils are really blooming now.  This is much earlier than usual, it has been so unseasonably warm.  I love these double flower ones.  I transplanted them from the old homestead on the back ridge over to here.  Daffodils are not native to the US, so I often think of who would have planted them over there on the old homestead.  Was in the sisters who last lived there...up until 1968, or was it the original Howard clan who homesteaded the place?  We shall never know...not in this world anyway.  

Yesterday I got 3 bags of cow manure/compost and started working on my iris beds; combing the dead leaves and trash out of them.  Here in the bed closest to the house is this lovely flower.  I forget what it's called at the moment.  In any case it was one that was given to me when my mom died a couple years ago.  She would have loved it; she loved all flowers.


  So far none of my irises have started to shoot up a bloom stalk, but they are usually a few weeks behind the daffodils. 

Every spring I look forward to seeing these bulbs flinging up their leaves and bloom stalks.  It's a party in the garden.  The miracle of rebirth after a long winter. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story