Seed Time!

...seed catalogs time, that is!  This one, my first one of the year, came in 2 days ago.  I love that it is illustrated in the old fashioned way.  The first few pages and the last few pages are of their most popular selections are always in color...

 

The last few pages are always of flowers and those are always in color as well: 



 

 

 But the middle pages are in black and white:



The old timey-ness of it is fun.  I think this year I am going to order a few things from here.  I have ordered from them in the past and have always been pleased.   Last year we weren't able to get any Top Crop green bean seed locally.  I notice that they have them in this catalog, so I might go ahead and order them. 

Also last summer I had volunteer pumpkins and spaghetti squash thrive and grow, so I thought I would try growing pie pumpkins.  Of course, last summer was a drought and the bugs were pretty scarce.  I didn't even see any squash bugs until early fall.  This coming summer might be super wet and allow the squash bugs to thrive.  I might take the chance anyway though.  It was nice having pumpkins in the garden, it gave it a certain charm, I think.

I will probably visit the Mennonite nurseries in the area and get bedding flowers and other vegetables.  They are always more reasonable with their prices than the box stores.  

It is funny that just over 2 months ago, maybe, I was thoroughly sick of gardening and now in the dead of winter I am already gearing up to begin it again.  For me I guess a great deal of the fun is in the planning.  


Comments

Donna. W said…
I hate to order from the catalogues because when you pay for shipping, it costs so much.
Calfkeeper said…
It does cost too much; and I can't even remember the last time I ordered from one. But I want to make sure I get what I am looking for this year; often they just don't have it locally.

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story