A Few Random Things

 The dog and I just got back from our walk.  We went back down to the creek bottoms.  Unfortunately it is becoming a bit hair-raising to take walks down there.  Three days ago on our way back we encountered a pack of about 5-6 dogs.  It was difficult to count them as they were milling around in the trees and bushes.  They all looked like labs, or some sort of lab mix.  There were 2 or 3 black ones, maybe 2 golden brown ones and a golden-brown and white one.  I called out to them, Bella woofed at them, trotted toward them and they took off across the creek bed.  When they were on the upper bank across the way one or two of them barked a bit, but then they took off.  I couldn't really see which way they went other than across the creek; the trees and all are too thick down there.  The past 2 days I've taken Bella out to the fenced in garden and done my walking there.  Today we went back down to the creek.  We didn't see hide nor hair of any other dogs; but Bella did quite a bit of sniffing and widdling around.  Who knows?

 One of our more eccentric neighbors had been in the hospital for a couple of weeks last month and suddenly we had random stray cats wandering through.  The lady had been a collector of animals; even buying random pets from people in the neighborhood, so I am not sure if her husband took care of the animals she had while she was gone.  Gary pooh poohs this idea, but I am not so sure.  At any rate she is back home, and the dogs didn't go back towards their place anyway.

***

A few years ago I got a Christmas Cactus start from a lady at church whose girls were in 4-H.  They'd had some sort of plant sale or competition or something and had come home with multiple starts of different plants.  The Christmas Cactus grew and grew and became more than I could handle, so this past summer I gave it back to the family from whence it came.  But I took two little starts from it.  I always try to have an extra start or two from my established plants, just in case something untoward happens and they die out completely. 

At any rate, it takes the starts a few months to develop a root system big enough to support new growth.  Just a couple of weeks ago one of the starts grew a new leaf.  Now it has 2 and the second start is also sprouting.  


What fun!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story