Fingerprints for New Adventures Ahead

 Yesterday I had to head out early to Bolivar to get my fingerprints taken.  

There's an opening sentence to raise lots of questions and eyebrows.  Haha...  Here's the story.

Since Gary retired the dairy a bit over 2 years ago I have enjoyed not having to do chores early in the mornings and late in the evenings.  It has been great to not have to fight the winter elements at 6 AM in the black dark every single morning.  For sure I have enjoyed sleeping in an extra hour or so every morning.  But now Ellen buzzes off to school of mornings, Gary has been super busy with his water well work.  Me.  Hmmm...  I have found any number of ministries, hobbies and whatnot to keep myself busy.  However, as the months have gone on, I have become more and more restless for something a bit more constructive.

So, last month I took complete leave of my senses and completed an online application to become a substitute teacher in the local school system.  No.  It was actually a move I have thought of doing for many months.  Then in early-December I met one of Ellen's former teachers we had known from when Long Lane Elementary was open.  She was enthusiastic when I told her I'd been considering this move.  And she became even more so when I told her I had a bachelor's degree in Spanish.  Haha...

In sober fact, the school system here has one Spanish teacher who splits her time between the three buildings; elementary, middle and high schools.  She also works with any of the ESL students that come into the district.  When Ellen took Spanish last year, the bulk of their learning was online; much like DuoLingo, I believe, or something to that effect.  

So, while the position I applied for was as a sub at the day care, I have a strong idea of where I might end up subbing if I do manage to get hired.

That last sentence comes from the fact that the online system seems to have lost my application.  So another friend we knew from Long Lane Elementary who works at the admin building sent a paper application packet home with Ellen last week.  I have it all filled out but a bit.  I have a copy of my college transcripts.  All I needed was a fingerprint background check.  So that I initiated yesterday.  It involved a trip to the Bolivar Health Department to get my fingerprints taken.  A painless procedure as it was all digital; no ink needed, unlike when I was fingerprinted for the job at the sheriff's department in Oregon.  The results will be sent directly to the school.  Yay!  I am glad to have that part over with.

Now I need to figure out how to fill out the tax withholding paperwork part of the application.  It is so confusing.  I don't know what I need to fill out.  Even Gary didn't know what boxes I ought to check.  He told me to take it in and have them advise.  It's kind of confusing because I have no idea how many hours I will work.  I don't plan on this being a full time deal; not every day of the week, at least, so it would be hard to do estimated withholding.  Oh, well, we will figure it out.  

Oh, and to answer a random person's random question about this when I told her; "No.  I have no intention of pursuing a full teacher certificate, or degree, or whatever."  As a sub I can control what days I actual come in, what grade level I sub for...etc.  It's pretty flexible, so I don't want to mess that up. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story