The Can't Leave Alone Bars recipe

This is not what I was going to blog about today, but by popular demand here is this recipe. It's the kind of thing you can throw together fairly quickly using stuff you have in your pantry. Ellen, aged 2.75 years, loves to help measure and stir this, so it's a good one to make with kids as well.

If you are new here to this blog, pardon how boring everything else is. I have been blogging every day for 2 months straight now and am having trouble being interesting. If you want something interesting or something to laugh at go to one of the posts from the past at the right. I need to add a couple of my bull stories over there someday, those are fun too! Ha.

Without further ado:

Can't Leave Alone Bars
(From Vera's Family Favorites -an Amish cookbook)

1 yellow cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1/2 stick butter (or margarine)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1-14 oz can sweetened condensed milk

Combine cake mix, eggs and oil; reserve 1/2 cup. Press remaining mixture into 9x3" pan and set aside.

In small saucepan over low to med heat, melt butter, chocolate chips and milk, stirring constantly. Pour over batter in pan.

Drop reserved batter in small dots over chocolate mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees until set; approximately 30-40 minutes.


This time I didn't have a yellow cake mix, so I used a white mix instead; you couldn't really tell the difference. You could probably vary the flavors by using a chocolate cake mix too, and/or differently flavored chocolate chips.

The first time I made these I baked them 40 minutes and it kind of scorched the edges. This time I stuck with the 30 minutes and they came out better, even though they didn't seem done at first.

Enjoy!

Comments

jel said…
you make them we will enjoy them :)
Unknown said…
Thanks for posting this!!! I'm posting a recipe on the blog tomorrow. I think you might like it! :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story