Hubby has a talent for coming up with these as he thinks of them...usually in regards to a certain subject.
1) He's going to fly high and light low. (To be said of someone who's on a spending spree-he's flying high with his money now, but he'll light low eventually when it's gone.)
2) He's got the wrong sow by the ear. (To have made a mistake, as in: we got a call yesterday from someone who was wanting to know why hubby hadn't shown up with his skid-loader to help her out...well, she had called the wrong number.)
3) He's got to lick that calf over. (To have done a poor job at something and have to do it over again.)
Then there are the "poor" sayings. Here in the Ozarks to be "poor" also means to be thin, or skinny. That's what most of these are referring to.
4)Poor as a snake.
5) Poor as owl poop.
6) So poor you could do your washing on his ribs.
7) So poor you could hang your hat on his hip bone.
8) He looks like the tail-end of hard times.