Floods and blooms and Other Spring Jazz

 June 9th, 2024 was a wet day.  So wet in fact that they closed down church because it was inaccessible to the majority of the congregation. 


The K Community Church down the road pooh-poohed the situation and a few of the members who attended got cut off from returning home their normal route.  I think to get back home they had to do like a 20 mile round trip.  

The above photo was taken by our neighbor, Carla.  This flood really damaged the pavement; there were massive chunks of trees and debris all over it.  The road department had to do repairs on it.  

My garden is not faring well either, in all the rain.  These were my peppers Sunday morning:


 

I've not been able to till the weeds down due to the amount of rain, and so much water is turning the green beans yellow.  I hope they make it.  If they don't I will have to do a fall crop.  

The tomato plants are also suffering from the rain; blight is setting in on the leaves.  I keep clipping off the leaves that are showing signs; but I can't denude the entire plant.  


My new hibiscus is doing well though.  She seems to weather the rain fine.  She is also in a place that drains well.  I bought her from a Mennonite nursery in Lead Mine late March or early May.  She got nipped back by frost, so I have been anxiously awaiting her recovery and first bloom.  They take FOREVER for the first bloom.  But as you can see, I think, in the pic, she is going to have tons of blooms.


I have my Betty hibiscus coming along.  She comes back from the roots every year and grows quite tall.  She is just now barely starting to get bloom buds on her.

For Mother's Day we went to Walmart and I picked out yet another small hibiscus.  It is quite little yet and probably won't bloom until late July, I would guess. I have no idea what color it will be.  

I am lacking photos for the last two; but I will fix that in future posts.  

***

In other news; Ellen is both loathing and enjoying her job at NRO.  Due to the high water some floats have had to be cancelled.  But on Sunday she put in a 10 hour day cleaning cabins.  They'd had to pull a few vehicles from the water early Sunday morning due to the flooding.  Last weekend the group she was cleaning with; about 4 gals, got their first complaint.  Some "Karen" complained about toast under the bed, a hole in the back closet wall, a broken ceiling fan blade and a burned and bent pan in the kitchen.  Ellen, and the other girls, have now learned to immediately report any and all damages to the supervisor.  She says she doesn't know how they missed the toast though, as everything is always swept, even under furniture.  My first question was, who goes around grubbing under beds to even find anything under there?  But I guess on second thought, when leaving it would be appropriate to look under the bed to make sure you had everything.  

She is certainly enjoying having a check to deposit every week.  That is always the best part of a job.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story