Pickling Beets



 

 Yesterday I pulled the beets, preparatory to pickling them, but it did not happen due to unforeseeable circumstances.  Yesterday was a very long day.  I'm trying to make a note of what happened yesterday so I will remember what it was when I look back on this entry, without telling too much about someone else's business.  Ha.  Let's just say it was a procedure that went awry.  But things are improving.

So today I had to process the beets.  There was a couple of fun looking beets in this batch.  I'd  never seen them have two stems like this:

 



I wonder if it was two that fused.  I dunno.

Anyway.  I got 6 pints of pickled beets done this morning.

Ellen was home from work with a virus of some sort.  

In the middle of my trying to can the beets the AC was destroyed.  We will not talk about who did it or why.  Let's just say it was on the fritz and the person got a bit too enthusiastic in attempting to fix it.  Soooo...

Smudge had an appointment in Buffalo to get a vaccine so she can go to the cat hotel next month when we are on our vacation. So Ellen and I left our rapidly overheating house to go to the town to the West of us.  On the way the cat puked and pooped in her carrier in the car.  It was an abnormally long trip to town.

After we got home and dropped her off home, we got our instructions for getting a new AC unit.  Gary stayed home while Ellen and I took of in the other direction from where we'd gone this morning.

We got back home a couple of hours later; just to find out that the new AC isn't as good as the old one.  But it does cool it off from like 85 degrees in the house to around 80.  Haha...  At least it's a dry heat, right?  

Now I have green beans to process.  But just a little time.  Maybe I will get a chance tomorrow to get some done.  I actually did a load of laundry today.  That should help me with time tomorrow.  

At any rate.  Here is the pickled beet recipe that my mother in law, Elna, gave to me that first summer we were married;  over 19 years ago now.  I have never used a different recipe.


I'm so tired.  It's been quite a week already, and it's only Tuesday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story