And more rain...


 Yesterday afternoon we had another gully washer blow through.  It dropped about 3/4 inch of rain in just half hour or so.  It was the same system that had pretty much washed out my friend's garden in Kansas that morning.  They got over 3 inches out of it; there was an actual stream flowing through her garden area; all of her mulch and top coating was collected against the back fence.  

This morning there is a system south of us in Oklahoma and Arkansas that may or may not head our way; depending on which way the wind blows.  We can hear the thunder from a system that is going north of us. Right now, at 6:30 in the morning, it is overcast and not looking inclined to do any drying up out in the garden, whether or not we get another rain storm.

Last week, this being Tues, we got 2 inches and I went out to check on the garden. This is how it was:



I had literally sunk down to my ankle.  As you can see; the weeds are taking over.  I keep grubbing them away from the plants as well as I can, but in between the rows it's looking like a lawn.  It has just been too wet to till.

The past 2 summers we learned how to garden in drought conditions; now we are learning to cope with gardening in a swamp.  It is what it is.  And, even for all the weeds, most of the plants are doing fairly well.  The wind blows the green bean plants around, but they adjust and keep growing.  I had tied up the tomato vines yesterday morning before the wind and rain struck; I am hopeful that they fared well.  I haven't headed out to check on them yet because I don't want to track up my garden too much. 

Had we not been through two previous summers of drought I might be inclined to complain about the rain.  But I know all too well that it very well could turn off and not come back again for another 4 months.  I am thankful that our ponds are full and everything is so green and lush.  The froggies are happy.  I love to listen to their chorus in the evenings. A few days ago Gary found a massive bullfrog up in our carport; which is only a few yards from the pond.  In almost 20 years here I had never seen one in person.  It must have been close to a foot long with its legs stretched out as Gary was holding it. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story