Cherries Galore!


 My sister-in-law has an old cherry tree next to her garage that has been there for many, many years....longer than I have been here, which will soon be 20 years this fall.  Every year it produces cherries, some years more than others.  I think Gail gets some cherries most every year, but as a rule the birds clear the tree well before she can get many cherries for herself. 

This year the little tree is just loaded and the birds haven't touched them.  We were perplexed about this for a time until we decided it must be because they have been feasting on cicadas.  Why else would they pass up a tree full of bright red cherries?  

Yesterday Ellen and I picked about 2 quarts of them.  I have pitted one container worth and need to put the other.

They look so pretty in this colander.


My friend Decie put this colander into my basket when we were browsing through a Good Will store in Portland one day.  She told me I'd use it all the time.  Haha. That was well over 20 years ago now.  I do use it to hold Gary's breakfast bananas on the counter.  But I rarely use it for anything else.  

There are more cherries out there, but I am going to let them ripen for a day and then hit the tree again tomorrow.  I don't know if Gail is going to want more or not.  She's about sick of pitting them, I think.  It is tedious for sure.  And you can't really reward yourself by snitching one to eat because they are so sour.  Haha...  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story