Christmas Memories

On Facebook I follow a guy from church, Dan B.  He and his family have a business near town, a gift shop mostly, but they prefer to focus on antique pieces and old timey ways of doing things.  He restores and then sells cast iron cookware, old clocks...etc.  They carry locally made soaps, jams, jellies, honey, candles, and candle wax buttons, hand thrown pottery...all the fun, old-fashioned, or unique gifts you could ever want for Christmas.  In spring they sell seeds, bedding flowers and vegetable plants, flower baskets, potting soil, straw...you get the drift here.

Every business day morning he tries to post an update on Facebook as to what they have in stock and what he has been doing.  He has over 6000 followers I believe, which surprised him a bit, I think.  This December he has been putting in a blurb about his Christmas memories of back in the day when he was a little shaver.


It has been interesting following his memories and has put me in mind of remembering my own childhood Christmases.  There are probably too many to go into in one post here, so this will be a short one.  My whole Christmas Memories series, as it were, will likely be short because I can't really remember specific Christmases.  But I'll go into different traditions and what not.  Some of those I have already covered on here; namely the Christmas Tree fetching stories.  But maybe I will add to that subject as well.  

Probably my strongest Christmas memories are the scents; Douglas fir, turkey and dressing in the oven. Smell is our most evocative sense, as we well know, and brings back many forgotten memories.   

And with that, I unfortunately have laundry to get done.   


Comments

Donna. W said…
How can I find him? I want to follow him too.
Calfkeeper said…
I tagged you on his site.

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story