The Incredible Shrinking Cake

A couple of days ago hubby needed something for his dessert. I looked in one of my cake recipe books and found something new; a triple lemon cake. It required a box of lemon gelatin to be added to a lemon mix...then you are supposed to beat it for FOUR minutes. I thought that was excessive, but when trying something new I always follow as close as I can to the directions.

When the required time was up I looked in the oven and couldn't believe my eyes; it had really puffed up, almost to the point of running out of the pan. I took it out. I set it on the counter to cool. Regretfully, I didn't take a photo at that time. After all, how bad could it be? Hubby took one look at it and said; "It's going to shrink." "Yes," I said. I didn't want to watch.

I went back in an hour or so. This is what met my eyes:


You can't really get a good idea of how ummm...short it is because of the perspective, but let's just say it's pretty flat, too.

Hubby took one look at it and said what was on my mind too.

"Oh, you made a dog bone cake."

Yeah. Ha!

No more gelatin in cake mixes for me.

Comments

jel said…
it don't really matter what it looks like, it's the taste that counts, how did it taste?


are ya all over your cold?
Anonymous said…
Bummer! I hate when stuff doesn't turn out!
Oh, well! Did it still taste yummy?

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story