More Gardening Updates


 The above are my pumpkin vines in the foreground; barely visible behind them are the cantaloupe vines. They grow more and more every day, so my search for squash bugs is becoming a challenge.  I manually pick them off the vines and toss them into a jar of soapy water.  They die within minutes.  Nasty outfits.  Then I have to check every leaf for the eggs.  I have eliminated most of them, but they keep coming in from somewhere.  


 

The vines are finally getting teeny pumpkins on them, but the weather is worrying me.  Today, Tues, July 9, 2024, we are getting the fallout of Hurricane Beryl.  It looks like it will rain pretty much all day.  Pollinators are not very active on super rainy days.  

********

The peppers are really coming along.  


These all came off of just a few of the pepper plants I have out there.  I hope the other plants start producing soon.  I need to fertilize them I guess.  The banana pepper plants are coming on like gangbusters.  I foresee myself donating most of them because they are a bit spicier than any banana pepper we have ever had before.  Last year's banana peppers we had were super mild.  These are almost like jalapenos.  They will be good to add a bit of spice to pickle relish.  In fact I might sacrifice some of my current green tomatoes to some relish NOW instead of waiting til fall.  Usually I wait til I have to pick all of the green tomatoes before a frost, but I might just do it now.  

I don't have a picture, but my cucumber plants are pretty steady.  Between my plants and my sister-in-law's plants I have enough for a batch of sweet pickles; which I will be processing today.  

I also pulled my onions last week.  There are a ton of them, but due to the rainy weather, and my neglect to weed them, I have a few that are rotting.  I need to go through them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story