Other Garden Odds and Ends

 

I plundered a few hills of sweet potatoes yesterday. I got a full 5 gallon bucket from about 6 of the 20 some slips I planted.  A few of them still don't have any roots formed beneath them, as I I have to be careful which plants I pull.

*********


Here is what the pumpkin vines look like by now.  The vine borers have done their dirty deed.  You can barely make out the healthy ends of the pumpkin vines making their way through the sunflower stalks in the background there.  That's because the vines root themselves as they grow.  I water them, but the borers keep advancing too.  However, despite all the bugs I think I will have a few actual pie pumpkins.


They look really pretty out there in the patch.  The stems are still super green, so I am just leaving them there to keep ripening.

Next to the pumpkin patch is the cantaloupe patch.  I am going to get a few of those as well.  I think there are maybe three or four of any serious size.  The rest are runts.  I'm hoping the raccoons and opossums don't get to them before I do.  


Next to the house in the nearest garden bed I have a couple of spaghetti squash vines.  There are about 3 big ones.  This one is just starting to turn color.


And last but not least:


This is off one of my yellow summer squash vines in the garden bed by the house.  Gary took one look at it and said; "Hmmm ..that lady had to bend over.". 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story