Total Pageviews

Friday, March 9, 2018

What happened yesterday...

Yesterday; March 8, 2018, I went into the hospital and had my gallbladder removed.  It was not fun; but it could have been worse.

A wonderful lady Jane, from church, who is also my neighbor down the road, drove me in, stayed with me and drove me back home.  It went so fast that Gary wasn't even done with chores yet before I was home.  I was scheduled for about 7:30 and was at home before 11 AM. 

They gave me pictures, but I will spare you and not scan and post them.  LOL

I have 4 holes in my abdomen and am rather sore, but generic Percocet is a wonderful thing so I am doing OK.  Gary is having to do all of my graining chores for the next week or two though.  I feel bad about that; but at least there is only one bottle calf for him to worry about.

The odd thing about the whole ordeal is that I wasn't too awfully anxious about it, except for one thing.  The whole anesthetic deal.  Coming out of it they say you don't remember much and could do weird things.  Having to deal with my mom and her memory loss due to dementia, the loss of memory idea really bothered me.  It wasn't too awful bad though, I remember a few things, even the nurse giving me my instructions (though I didn't remember them all) and I remember most of the ride home; especially when Jane had to pull over to help me after I puked.  LOL  They gave me several puke bags, so we were prepared.  Jane has been through a surgery or two, so she knew what would happen.  The nausea is due to the anesthetic as well.

I didn't eat anything yesterday; just a few sips of broth and lots of water.  I tried some cherry gelatin, but that promptly came up.  I KNEW gelatin was of the devil, hahaha!

There were two other notable things yesterday; one was quite reassuring, one was amusing.

Before the surgery in the waiting area the surgeon, Brent Bartgis, came in to meet me and yak a bit.  Then before he left he told us he was going to pray before surgery and did we want him to leave the room or stay and pray.  Jane and I told him of course we wanted him to stay and pray, so he laid hand on my shoulder and prayed.  Jane and I were pleasantly surprised.

Second thing.  Also before surgery the anesthetist (I guess is the right word) came in to meet me and ask questions and give advice.  Said not eat anything but clear liquids, Popsicles or jello, the rest of the day.  Said he told everyone; "Fries will fly."   Haha.  I wish I could call him and tell him that jello will fly too.  But I think that's just my anti-gelatin problem. 

Thankful: The Lord provided a man of the Faith to perform my surgery, a friend to be there with me though it when my husband couldn't, the determination to recover quickly. 


jel said...

glad to hear you are doing ok.

Jane is a good woman. she drove me to Springfield for my treatments.

Calfkeeper said...

Yes, I love Jane. She is such a sweet lady!