Reflections on Life After the Dairy


 It has been over a year now that we closed down the dairy.  I am sure I have written this before elsewhere about this, but I shall repeat it again:  I don't miss it.

Oh, certainly there are aspects of it that I miss; the calves mostly.  The calves and their slobbery faces, the cows and their amusing antics, the smell of alfalfa in late summer or early fall when we had our hay supply laid in for winter; those are all things I remember fondly.  But let's be completely honest.  I love sleep more.

Much more.

Sleeping in until 5 AM is nice.  Most people I speak to opine that 5 AM isn't sleeping in, and I might agree with them some mornings, but arising early has its advantages.  On school days Ellen gets up around 5:30 AM.  Well, that is when she sets her alarm, but we'll just brush past this and say that maybe intentions do count for something.  By 5:30 AM I can get Gary's breakfast out of the way, get Ellen up and going and then have my Bible reading and devotional done before 6-ish AM, give or take a few.

After taking Ellen to the bus stop around the corner a bit before 7 AM leaves the WHOLE rest of the morning to enjoy; get a few chores done early, do some baking or whatever.  I tend to be more productive in the mornings, so not having to do dairy chores is quite freeing.  

Evenings without dairy chores are quite enjoyable as well.  We still eat an early supper at 4 PM, or later when Ellen gets home from school.  That leaves the whole evening for other events which is quite handy now that Ellen is in high school and more socially active; visits with friends, bonfires, school and club activities...etc.  Once a month I do my own writer's guild attendance and go without any guilt of leaving someone else to do my dairy chores.  Fun times!

Gary himself now is able to work on his various projects, do random other chores and by and large enjoy himself without worrying if the cows are going to escape down the dry creek bed, get excited and get jammed in the milking barn...or any number of other shenanigans they tended to pull.

Life is grand without the dairy.

Comments

Donna. W said…
Everything has its season, and it's now your time (and your family) to be free to do other things. That's a cause for celebration.

Popular posts from this blog

The Oyster

Like Cats A'Fightin'

The Blind Calf Story